You may be a handyman who is wondering if there was some way for you to make more cash. Indeed, it’s possible for you to find success as a handyman in Pennsylvania. Have you found that you’ve always enjoyed working with your hands? Are you aware of how to fix and repair most things around the home? If this is the case, then you should consider getting a handyman side gig in Pennsylvania.
If you don’t know where to start, then don’t worry. It’s not as hard as you think.
What Are The Advantages and Disadvantages of a Handyman Side Gig?
If you want to be a handyman, then you’ll need to have a certain set of skills, as well as characteristics. There are plenty of pros and cons when it comes to starting a side hustle as a handyman. Knowing what these are can help you on your road to finding success as a handyman.
As a handyman, you should also consider insurance for handyman in Pennsylvania. This is as through your career, you’re exposed to certain risks, such as being sued by a client. With insurance for handyman in Pennsylvania, you can protect your career, as well as your finances. If you want to learn more about insurance for handyman in Pennsylvania, then click here.
Advantages of Being a Handyman
There are several advantages, including:
- You can create your own schedule and work as much as you want.
- You get to choose what services you’ll be offering. This allows you to either offer general or specialized services.
- You’ll get to be physically active, and you’ll be able to work with your hands.
- You’ll regularly get to interact with people.
- Overhead expenses are low, as you don’t need office space or employees.
- There are low start-up costs, especially should you already have the tools you need.
- There is a lot of potential for growth as well as expansion. You can also think about investing in professional certifications. This can allow you to earn more. You can also think about getting a contractor’s license.
- There is a lot of demand for handyman services, so you’ll be able to find work.
- There’s a high potential for profit as well.
- You can get tax write-offs for any tools purchased, as well as fuel and maintenance. This also includes your vehicle for work, advertising, as well as special licenses.
What Are The Disadvantages of a Handyman Side Gig?
There are certain disadvantages you should know about as well. These include:
- You need to ensure that you’re always in good shape physically.
- If you’re an introvert, then interacting with clients may be uncomfortable for you.
- It may be uncomfortable to negotiate rates with clients as well.
- You’ll need to have a lot of knowledge when it comes to home improvement.
- You may need to have a collection of tools that is robust.
- Some of the jobs you do may be seasonal.
- Taxes related to self-employment may be high.
What Are the Top Rated Skills for Handymen?
When it comes to handyman skills, you can break them into two categories. The first of these are the skills that can bring you profit. The second are skills that tend to be in demand. If you want to do jobs that are more profitable, then you may need to have specialized skills as well.
However, the most requested skills tend to be skills that are more general. This can include knowing how to do minor repairs around the home, doing yard work, working on waste removals in the yard, and more. You may also need to know how to mount wall TVs and ceiling fans.
What you’re looking for ideally is jobs that require special skills but are still easy to do. This can include plumbing, as well as electrical work. You may need to replace toilets as well as faucets. You may need to unclog sinks as well as drains. You could also have to replace light fixtures, ceiling fans, as well as electrical outlets.
Offer both specialized as well as general services, in order to ensure that you get regular work.
Determining What Services You’ll Be Offering
The first thing you should do to determine what you can offer is make a list of what your skills are. Do you know how to hang pictures? Can you install ceiling fans? Pore through your local handyman ads to find out what jobs you can do. You can also look at what kind of services other handymen are offering. This will help you understand what your core services should be.
You should consider including skills that are most profitable. But don’t wander too far off from your existing skillset. You also shouldn’t be afraid to experiment with offering new services. This can help you to set yourself apart from the competition. If you think there’s a void in the market that your skills can fill, then start offering that service.
When it comes to the legal aspect of becoming a handyman, many states don’t need you to have a license. Some states may require a license, however, so you should do your research on the laws in Pennsylvania regarding handymen.
Aside from deciding on what your services will be, you will also need to market your business and develop relationships with your customers. This will help you to get returning customers, helping you find success in the long run.